Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes



These are based on a recipe I saw here. I played with it a little bit and even made a cake for Valentine's Day. They are super yummy but I keep dreaming about adding a chocolate ganache center. (I think I've watched too many episodes of DC Cupcakes)

The first time I made these I tried a flour substitution with GF flour and a regular chocolate cake recipe. The result was chocolate lava in the bottom of my oven. My kids and I sacrificed and ate the crusty edges and then I crumbled the rest for a future recipe. For the next batch I used my tried and true GF chocolate cake recipe. Success!

Gluten Free Yellow Cake (All Recipes.com)

1 1/2 C white rice flour (I always use asian rice flour)
3/4 C tapioca flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
*for chocolate add 1/2 C cocoa powder and increase sugar by 1/4 C
4 eggs
1 1/4 C white sugar
2/3 C mayonnaise
1 C milk
2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 round cake pans or 36 cupcake liners.

Mix together the dry ingredients, except the sugar and set aside.

Mix together the eggs, sugar and mayonnaise until smooth. Add the flour mixture, milk and vanilla and mix well. Spread in prepared pans or liners.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cake should spring back when lightly touched. Let cool and then frost as desired.

Strawberry Frosting (the-girl-who-ate-everything.com)
½ cup fresh strawberries, hulled
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened but still slightly cold
3 ½ cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

Place 1/2 cup of strawberries in a food processor or blender and process until pureed into liquid.
Beat butter and salt until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar slowly until combined. It will be dry but be patient...it will come together.

Add vanilla extract, and 4 Tablespoons of pureed strawberries. Mix until just blended. Frost cupcakes and add chocolate drizzles if you desire. Share with everyone you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment