Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Hawaiin Haystacks


In my Pennsylvania mind this is a quintessential Utah food; right up there with jello and funeral potatoes. This is one of those super easy, quick, "I have no idea what to make for dinner" meals. Given the choice, my kids would eat these much more frequently than I am willing to make them.

Pre-gluten free, these involved cans of soup and a few other ingredients. When I was trying to convert some of our staple menu items, I happened across this recipe in a chat room about girls camp. Kind of random, but I am so glad I did! We like them served with pineapple, coconut, cheese and green onions. Hope your family loves these as much as mine!


Hawaiin Haystacks

6 Tbsp butter
1/3-1/2 C GF flour (the amount will depend on the flour, I use 1/2 C of the asian rice flour because it is so fine, but I use 1/3 C for any of my other flour blends. Just make sure the roux is thick enough when you are whisking it together)
3 C chicken broth
1/2 C milk
1/2 C half and half
2-3 chicken bouillion cubes for added flavor
1 1/2 C chopped, cooked chicken (about 2 chicken breasts)

Melt butter in saucepan on medium heat, blend in flour. This should be a big clump when combined. If it's too soft, you may not have enough flour to thicken the sauce later. Add chicken broth and smashed bouillion cubes and whisk until mixture thickens. Whisk in milk and half and half until smooth. Add chicken and a dash of pepper to taste. Don't forget to stir all the way through or the bottom will burn. Serve over rice, with desired toppings.

This sauce is the equivalent of 2 cans of condensed cream of chicken soup, mixed with 2 cans of milk.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this. Hawaiin Haystacks used to be one of our staples, but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to make a GF gravy. We'll be eating these next week.

    ReplyDelete